Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Culture Shock

As I sit here staring at the screen, my first thought is , "Why did you not by that aspirin at the Dollar Store?" I knew I was gonna need it, but as always, I just told myself I would get it later. My day started with me knocking out my grocery shopping. I was dreading it because I am really tired of spending money and I knew I would be needing to get basics, so I would spend more than I wanted to. But I think I did pretty well anyways. I'm going to right down how quickly I go through things so I can have a better idea of how much money I'm actually going to spend on groceries each month and if I do need a meal plan. We shall see. But I did find a packet of frozen yogurt with dark chocolate swirls that had individual serving sizes, so I'm not giving that stuff up. Yum :)

After parting with my hard earned money for some essential nutrition, I made my way back to my dorm and was greeted by my roommate as I was unpacking. She's as nice as I hoped she would be, and I'm sure we will get along fine. She let me know that she doesn't spend much time in the room due to her work at Best Buy and spending time with her boyfriend, which I'm okay with. I tend to be an introvert at times, until I get tired of it and seek out company.

Which brings me to my entertaining dinner. I had came downstairs to the kitchen to fix myself a cup of noodles (oh yay cheap-o college student dinners) and a bunch of people were lounging around on the couches. They glanced up as I walked by but no one said anything so I just smiled and continued on. When I came back out however, one guy sitting on the end introduced himself as Daniel, and started the chain reaction of everyone else introducing themselves. A couple minutes later I was invited to accompany them for dinner, and although I wasn't hungry and I was looking forward to seeing the season premiere of SyFy's Face Off show (love it!), I figured I should get to know the people I would be living with.

About 20 minutes later, I'm in a restaurant called Cheddar's that I have never been to, surrounded by a guy from Mexico, 3 guys from Japan, 4 girls from Japan, and a guy from Nashville who just got back from studying in Japan. I had already gathered that most of the people in my dorm were Asian, but I kinda felt it was rude to ask exactly where each person was from, so I just let them tell me themselves. As I was sitting there listening to the girl beside me telling me that it's hard to find a Mexican restaurant in Japan, I realized that I was paying much more attention to everything she said than the other people at the table because I had to listen harder to understand her. Most of them spoke English quite well, but the pronunciation is a bit off, so you have to hear what they say and match it in your head to how you know its supposed to sound. But just like you feel a sense of accomplishment whenever you solve a puzzle, I got excited when I realized I was catching onto her accent easier and more quickly. I can already tell that I will learn way more from living here than a textbook could ever teach me.

And to top my evening off, I got to FaceTime with my aunt and cousin who are watching over my dear baby, Rhino, a now 2-year old Pug that I have had since he was a puppy. My mini fridge was making noises last night and I woke up thinking at first that it was just him snoring at the end of my bed. Words can not describe how much I miss that spoiled rotten little thing but I know he's having fun being around their dogs and having others to play with, so I am thankful they were generous enough to offer to take care of him. There is no love on Earth like that of a faithful dog. Especially one that snores louder than a freight train ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment