Monday, January 14, 2013

First Post..

So my first post on my new blog as I start my new chapter in my new dorm room at my new school.. Must admit, it's pretty exciting. This time last year, well let's just say that things were a complete 180. And I am not going to go into all the gory details of the events of 2012. Not because I'm embarrassed or upset about it, but simply because it feels like another lifetime. It feels like all that happened to someone else somehow and I just witnessed it.. Does that make any sense? Maybe not. I guess it's like reading a book.. you get so involved with the story and the characters that you feel a part of that world. Well you do if you read like I do, anyways. But that's what the past year, or past three years I should say, feel like to me. There are some great memories, but when I try to recall them, the bad ones tag right along with them and beat their way to the front of my mind, so all those thoughts and memories are boxed up with a nice little bow on top and shoved to the back of my mind. I'm starting a *new* memory chain here.. Woo hoo!

So yeah, I am 22 years old, back in a dorm room, waiting on my comforter to get through in the dryer, sipping on a Mtn Dew, promising myself I'll give up sodas for good.. tomorrow. For the longest time I beat myself up over not sticking to school and finishing it straight through the first time. I hated seeing all the people I went to school with posting statuses about how they were graduating and all I could think about was how I still had more to go. But ya know, if I hadn't done the things that kept me out of school and went down the path I did, there is no telling where I would be right now. Possibly in graduate school chasing down a career I wasn't even completely sure I wanted or in a job that I couldn't stand. But I know I wouldn't be here. Because right after high school, I was in that, "go to school, get a degree, get a career, make money, settle down" mindset and everything that I wanted to do simply for the sake of doing it was on the back burner. If it didn't further my plans in some way or benefit me right then, I wasn't letting it get in the way. But I realize now that was such a bad way to look at it. Those dreams and goals and ideas weren't getting in my way.. I was. This stupid plan and idea of how my life should be was getting in my damn way. (Forewarning: I honestly do cuss like a sailor. See I have this viewpoint that "cuss" words are still just words.. it all depends on the context of how you use them. I honestly don't see much difference in calling someone an asshole or a butthole.. one just grabs your attention more I guess. I don't know.. that my opinion, but for the sake of my family that's reading this, I'll try to tone it down.) Everyone talks about how college was the best time of their lives.. ya know, before that stumbled into the real world. Woke up one day and was told they were adults and needed to start acting like it. Well you know what.. the thought of that day kinda terrifies me now. Not the thought of having a steady job and being what society sees as successful, but losing this thirst for adventure, and knowledge, and life. I watched three years pass by in the blink of an eye and I will never get that time back. I don't want to sit at a desk and work myself into boredom day in and day out until I can retire and finally do what I want. I want to do what I want right now. I remember how they show in movies that kids are the only ones who can see things that adults stopped believing in at some point in their lives.. I'd like to think I'll always be able to see those things. No, I might not be seeing fairies or the Easter Bunny, but I want to see the world and everything in it with the same awe and wonder that I had seeing things for the first time as a child. I don't want to let go of that... ever.

And yeah, growing up makes that harder. But hey, I'll just fight harder to hold onto it. And anyone that has been around me longer than five minutes will know that stubborn is an understatement for me. It was in this mindset that I stumbled across this blog about a guy who graduated school and decided he wasn't ready to have a steady job yet.. so he packed up and just started traveling. Years later, he's learned multiple languages and visited more places than I have even heard of. Oh, and he's Irish but he doesn't drink.. I hope I meet this guy one day to let him know I credit him for inspiring me to research and find out this path could be possible. Check him out here.

I sat on my couch after that day and just researched all these different people who travel and explore for a living and blog about how they do it. It's possible.. if you're willing to step outside your comfort zone. Give up a little first world comforts we're all so accustomed to and just live. I'm still figuring out this whole blogging thing, so it won't be as elegant as those peoples' but hopefully you'll find it somewhat entertaining. If not, well no one will stop you from leaving this page. Go play angry birds or something.

As for me, I'm starting with learning what I can. People like to hear you have a degree, and I like learning, so it seemed like a good use of my time right now. I'll be double majoring in Global Studies and French here at Middle Tennessee State University. Global Studies is a fairly new major that allows you to pick whether you would like to concentrate on foreign culture, politics, or history. I don't want to be a tourist.. I want to be a traveler, so therefore I need to know about where I'm going. And since I want to do it all, I'll just learn about the world in general. No, I don't know where it's going to lead me. No, I don't know what exactly I'm going to do with my degree. And No, I don't have any set plans of where or what I'll be doing in the next 5 years.. and I am so unbelievably happy about that. God will let me know my path as he deems necessary. I'll just be enjoying the ride!

So for those of you who take the time to read my words and try to follow along with my crazy thoughts, I hope you're able to take something from them. I know reading about all the stories from the other bloggers made me inspired, and a little jealous of course, and although it'll be a while before I'm able to completely dive in to the life I'm chasing, I'll prove that nothing can hold you back from something if you want it badly enough. The only real limits you have, are the ones you give yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment