Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cosmopolitanism

So today was my return to Philosophy class. I think it is safe to say it is my favorite class and I always look forward to it. Anyways, the topic we discussed in our group today was cosmopolitanism. No, not the drink or the magazine, but a word that comes from the Greek stem "cosmos" and it actually means to be a citizen of the world. And the argument that the particular philosopher we were focusing on was making, was that in order to truly understand the world and be a part of it, we must accept that people are going to think differently than us. That does not mean there is no possible way we can get along with them, but quite the opposite. He encourages that we keep our minds open and to converse with others and really listen to what they have to say about their lives, beliefs, and experiences.
And my first thought to this is, "Okay, when can I start?" I mean, is it weird that I am totally okay with someone challenging me and the way I see the world? I wouldn't mind a bit if someone wanted to know more about why I do things a certain way, just as long as they're okay with me picking their brains in return. I actually usually get that chance almost every day living in this dorm, because there are so many foreign exchange students. But as we discussed it in our group, I realized that many people do not share that outlook with me. They're comfortable with the way their world is as they know it and anything challenging or changing that, scares them. And try as I might to understand and respect that point of view, I just can't help but feel sorry for them. I could not imagine what it would be like to not want to know more. To not want to explore, and see, and do. But I'm sure I seem like an insane person to them for wanting to leave everything I've ever known just to see what else is out there. Which made me wonder, is this behavior or drive, is it something that is learned? If it is, I'm not so sure where I learned it. Probably from reading... Fair warning parents: reading will make your children adventurous, determined, and driven. You have been warned. ...ha.

-And on a random sidenote because this has absolutely nothing to do with the above post, but I would really like to share. Right now, there is so much debate over gun control and new laws, etc. that I dread getting on facebook and reading all the rants. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes, but having an argument over the internet is just about as effective as nailing jello to a tree. But I was reading a story out of my globalization book, and it's a essay taken from "Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War" by Joe Bageant. He was, of course, raised in the South, and the chapter talks about how deer hunting was a right of passage for him growing up, but this quote he had about people not understanding that special tie to guns just stood out to me:
"Unfortunately, utter lack of knowledge and experience doesn't keep nonhunting urban liberals from believing they know what's best for everybody else - or simply laughing at what they do not understand."

That man knew what he was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment